The Women’s Architectural League
The Westover House
Site of WAL’s Membership Tea
September 1, 2015
Remodeled by John McCulloch
Promoting the understanding and appreciation of architecture in the life of our community since 1953
The Women’s Architectural League (WAL) was pioneered in San Francisco, California in the early 1940s at the request of the American Institute of Architects (AIA). By 1953, ten groups had formed around the country including one in Portland that was organized by female architects and the wives of local architects.
The original purpose of WAL was to promote awareness of architecture, to stimulate greater public interest and to conduct fundraising activities. These activities consisted of receptions, parties, lectures, forums and paid tours of commercial buildings and private homes. The proceeds from these activities provided annual scholarships for university students in the field of architecture.
Since 1986 membership in WAL has been open to women outside of the architectural community who are interested in architecture. WAL no longer hosts fundraisers, but membership dues allow us to support two excellent organizations: the Architects in Schools Program, for third through fifth graders, and the ACE Mentor Program, for high school students who are interested in a career in architecture, construction, or engineering.